Updated: Apr 1
As much as some of our furry friends would love to eat everything and anything that comes their way (labradors we're looking at you!), not all foods that we love to eat as humans are safe for our doggos and in fact can be highly toxic and dangerous for them to eat. Here is a handy list of foods to keep well out of reach of your four legged friends;
CHOCOLATE - Contains theobromine which is poisonous to dogs and can cause kidney failure in high enough doses.
XYLITOL - An artificial sweetener which can be in many of our processed foods, including peanut butter! Always check the label of your peanut butter before feeding it to your dog as a treat. Xylitol can be toxic and can cause liver and blood disorders.
AVOCADO - Contains Persin which is another poison to dogs and can cause sickness and diarrhoea.
ONIONS & GARLIC - Any item from the onion family such as chives, garlic, leeks and onions (raw or cooked) are toxic to dogs and can cause red blood cell damage and gastrointestinal irritation. Symptoms sometimes can occur up to a few days after consumption.
COOKED BONES - Raw bones = GREAT! Cooked Bones = NEVER!! Cooked bones have the potential to splinter and cause a whole host of painful problems for your dog including perforation of the gut which is fatal. ALWAYS feed your dog RAW and UNCOOKED bones as a treat!
GRAPES - Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause liver and kidney damage.
MACADAMIA NUTS - Contain a toxin that can cause damage to your dogs nervous system.
ALCOHOL - Never a good idea to feed your dog alcohol, just don't ever do it! Not only is it toxic but it's highly intoxicating to a dog even in very small doses.
IF YOU ARE CONCERNED THAT YOUR DOG HAS INGESTED A TOXIC FOOD OR ITEM SEEK VETERINARY ADVICE IMMEDIATELY!!